The Effectiveness of Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine
IVF Support combined with Acupuncture is a necessary treatment for women who aim of trying to increase their chance of having a successful pregnancy. Acupuncture is also called a complementary or adjuvant therapy and has been been used by many people to improve their physical and emotional health/wellbeing.
Dr Cui believes that acupuncture combined with Chinese herbal medicine can further improve the chance of being pregnant and have good quality eggs. A British survey also mentioned that acupuncture can increase a woman’s chance of pregnancy by 65% and improve the likeliness of live birth by 91%.
There are many people who attempt IVF treatment because it is one of the options that offer a high success rate of having a successful pregnancy. However, multiple treatments may be required to achieve the desired results. Therefore, Acupuncture combine with herbal medicine plays a significant role in achieving a successful pregnancy via IVF treatment as it improves the quality of eggs and the thickness of uterine lining.
Quality of Sperms
Acupuncture can not only improve the quality of eggs, but it will also improve the quantity and quality of sperm which can also affect the successful chance of pregnancy via IVF treatment. Hence, acupuncture is not only for women but also recommended for men.
How many times should you do Acupuncture?
It is strongly recommended that for those who intend to do IVF treatment to do acupuncture throughout the whole IVF process, this includes:
– Prior to Starting your IVF Cycle (Once a week)
– During the stimulation phase
– Acupuncture before and after egg collection
– One day prior/on the day of the Embryo on Transfer (within 24 hr)
– One day after/on the day of the Embryo Transfer (within 24 hr)
– Once or twice a week until the blood test result confirm
– Once a week during the 1st trimester of pregnancy
Do I need Chinese Herbal Medicine?
In addition to acupuncture treatment, Dr Cui also recommends the use of Chinese herbal medicine as it is proven that Chinese herbal medicine can be very effective. There is research to support this fact in the following articles:
“ Our review suggests that the management of female infertility with Chinese Herbal Medicine can improve pregnancy rates 2-fold within a 4 month period compared with Western Medical fertility drug therapy or IVF. Assessment of the quality of the menstrual cycle, integral to TCM diagnosis, appears to be fundamental to the successful treatment of female infertility. “ (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0034503/)
• Inoue T et al, OJOG, Vol. 3, No. 1A (2013) of Open Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology
“the oocyte development rate was significantly higher (58.0%) after herbal medicine intake than before (32.5%; p = 0.0003). Moreover, the successful pregnancy rate was significantly higher after intake than before (6.9% versus 0%; p = 0.0111). Herbal medicine may constitute a useful adjunct to assisted reproductive technology in women.” (http://www.scirp.org/journal/CTA.aspx?paperID=27774)
Benefits of Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine
In conclusion, Acupuncture combined with Chinese herbal medicine for IVF support can have benefits as follows:
• Improve the quality of eggs and the thickness of the uterine lining and the follicle development
• Increase the number of sperms and improve the quality of sperms
• Assist the chance of having successful IVF treatment
• Boost health and well being
• Nourishing the body and reduce stress level
• Promote regular menstrual cycle
• Develop pregnancy rates up to 2-fold within 4 months compared with Western Medical fertility drug
• Enhance circulation and blood supply to uterus and ovaries (Magarelli, PC, D Cridennda, M Cohen. Fertil Steril. 2009 Dec;92(6):1870-9 Fertility and Sterility)