Menopause is a condition where woman’s menstrual period stop and she is unable to get pregnant naturally. There are some symptoms that women need to watch out for before they experience menopause. The average age of women who have menopause is around 50 years old (this may be vary).
When hormones of estrogen and progesterone starts to drop due to menopause, women will experience the following signs:
- Hot flushes / Night sweats
- Mood changes
- Low sex drive / Vaginal dryness
- Thinning hair and slower metabolism
- Insomnia / Nightmares Etc.
Hot flushes can produce very inconvenience feeling of intense heat and in some cases can disrupt their pattern of sleeps.
It is still possible for women to conceive although there may be irregular menstruation. It is common thing to have skipped periods during peri-menopause. However, it is also necessary to check whether or not you are pregnant when you have skipped your period.
During the transition from peri-menopause to menopause it is recommended for women to have regular visits to doctor. The doctor will often suggest you to have screenings such as mammography, lipid, thyroid testing or colonoscopy.
What is HRT?
HRT is Hormone Replacement Treatment is a treatment used to augment body’s hormone level, either estrogen therapy or progesterone therapy. This HRT is usually for women who undergo stage of menopause where the level of estrogen and progesterone drop significantly. HRT is usually recommended to those who have menopause symptom in late 40.
However, the use of HRT has changed significantly when a large clinical trial found that it actually posed more health risks than benefits for one type of hormone therapy, especially for older postmenopausal women. As there is health hazards about HRT, doctors try to avoid prescribe this to patients. Dr Christine advises that using acupuncture is more natural way in eliminating menopause symptoms.
Menopause dietary advise
- Take supplements of Vitamin E, Zinc, magnesium, Vitamin D and calcium. These nutrients can prevent dry skin and normalise hormone levels
- Eat rich protein foods such as Turkey, cottage cheese, legumes and oats.
- Take calcium as your supplement and try avoid food that are high in phosphorous; which you can find in red meat.
- Reduce caffeine, sodium and alcohol
- Increase your vegetables, fruits and yogurt consumption. This food is good for your bones.
- Soya milk, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, tempeh, tofu, green beens and celery. These foods are high in phyto-oestrogens, which going to help you ease the hot flushes.
- Try to eat at least two servings of fish per week, preferably salmon or trout. If this is hard for you, take fish oil daily will help reducing heart disease risk.
How Acupuncture can assist in balancing the hormones and rejuvenating internal organ such as kidney, liver and spleen
Acupuncture with conjunction of Chinese medicine can reduce or eliminate all of symptoms in most of the cases. This treatment has been proved to relieve from mood changes and hot flushes among women who experience menopause.
According to study from journal Acupuncture in Medicine, Turkish researchers investigated 53 menopausal women. Twenty seven women received acupuncture twice a week for ten weeks. The result said that these women have reduced hot flushes significantly because it stabilises the body’s temperature.
Another study from Norway also reported that there is reduced intensity of hot flushes by night and by day with those women who received acupuncture for 12 weeks.
The third study done in larger scale by Prof. Avis and colleagues, with 209 women aged 45-60 who stopped their period for at least 3 months. They received 6 months of acupuncture treatment; the result proved that 36.7 % of them had fewer hot flashes per day compared to before treatment.
Therefore, acupuncture is highly recommended for those who experience menopause and is worth a try especially if you are not willing to get HRT treatment.More