It is important for couples who want to conceive to take a closer look on their eating habit. This will have great impact on how soon they can conceive. We have listed for you the top five recommended food for couple who want to conceive faster.
1. High Quality Proteins Food
The research found that couple who consumes more carbs, are less likely to conceive than those who have high intake of proteins. By eating 25% more protein and 40% less carbohydrate daily, a couple can double their pregnancy rates. These food include white eggs, fish high in omega 3 (ie. salmon) and chicken.
The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA)is 0.8 grams per kilogram (0.36 grams per pound) of body weight per day. It is around 46 grams of protein for an average woman.
For vegetarians, you can consume legumes, beans or soy products.
2. High in Folic Acid
Folic acid is the most significant vitamin that the couple needs in order to nourish the baby’s brain. The first trimester is very important to take folic acid supplements for the development of the embryo’s brain. Folic acid is a type B vitamin that normally found in food such as; asparagus, oranges, peas, dried beans, spinach and broccoli.
The amount that you should be taking is between 400-600 mg of folic acid daily before pregnancy and around 800mg during pregnancy to minimise birth defects.
3. High in Omega 3 Fatty Acid
The recommended intake for a couple is 1000-2000 mg of omega 3 fatty acids daily. This include, two tablespoons of Chia seeds, 85 gram of fish, especially Salmon or 2 tablespoons of walnut.
4. Fruits and Vegetables
Eating fruits and vegetables are highly recommended if you want to get pregnant faster.
These are recommended fruits/vegetables:
- Avocado: Heart health powerhouse, filled with fibre, B vitamins, Vitamin C, high in good fats and potassium
- Blueberries: High in antioxidant, fibre and vitamin C. The antioxidants will help control cholesterol levels and increase your immune system. Good source of vitamins.
- Almonds: Rich in monounsaturated fats that can protect your heart. Rich source of antioxidants as well as fibre.
- Asparagus: Consist of plenty of vitamins include, folic acid, vitamin C, fibre and potassium. The potassium helps regulating heart function and controlling blood pressure. The Vitamin C and folic acid assist in preventing heart disease.
- Broccoli: Contains sulforaphane and high source of vitamin A, vitamin C, co-enzyme Q10 and fiber. The sulforaphane will play defense mechanism and can reduce inflammation as well as protecting arteries from disease and damage. Co-enzyme Q10 will improve heart muscle and strength.
- Orange: It contains flavanones, vitamin C, B vitamins and antioxidants. The falvanones can lower bad cholesterol. It can improve women’s immune system
- Spinach: It consists of Co-enzyme Q10, fiber, antioxidants and folic acid.
5. Full fat diary
According to research, people who consume full fat dairy are no more likely to develop cardiovascular disease than those who consume low fat ones. The full fat dairy foods consist of estrogen and progesterone (ie. female hormones). By removing the fat, the only hormones that are left are androgens (ie. male hormones). As a consequence, the ovulation is impaired. Therefore, it is important to consume full fat dairy foods for women who try to conceive as this will impact their natural fertility level.
Here are the recommended example of full fat dairy foods:
- Whole milk
- 4% yoghurt
- Grass fed beef
- Natural peanut butter
- Whole eggs
- Olive Oil
- Dark Chocolate